Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

His urine is and he is not seeing in the box, Peeing, His

Customer Question

His urine is brown and he is not seeing in the box
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Peeing
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: His urine is brown and not peeing in box
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: He has a cough too Otherwise. Seems fine
JA: Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Clausenfus just turned 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clausenfus?
Customer: He has not been happy since I brought home new kitten in April
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 10 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Terri
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 10 days ago.

Hi Karen,

I am sorry Clausenfus is not feeling well.Since he is a male cat he should be seen today.

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms Any time a cat doesn't use his box he is either sick or in pain.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - I think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

You can give him a half tsp of cranberry juice to lower the PH of his urine but he still needs to be seen for an antibiotic.

For the cough give him a drop of honey every 4 hours to sooth his throat.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

He most likely has a urinary tract infection.Brown urine can indicate a problem with the kidneys.Or dehydration.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Terri. I will contact the vet
Expert:  Terri replied 10 days ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.
Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Terri,
I took my cat to the emergency animal hospital as you suggested. They examined him and took a urine sample and suspected as you did that he had a UTI or bladder infection. His initial urine test showed some bacteria but his cultures indicate that he does not need to be treated with antibiotic at this time. the litter box. Vet feels most of this is behavorial and we are going to try pheronome collar, attract cat litter, new box and confining him for a while. Also watching color of urine output.Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 days ago.

Hi Karen

You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure to help.

He may have interstitial cystitis which does not show bacteria upon exam

Give him 4 drops of cranberry juice every day for ten days.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am compensated by the site. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Best wishes for him,