Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

He has a blade of grass stuck in his throat, Try's to eat

Customer Question

He has a blade of grass stuck in his throat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Try's to eat wet good but make him gag
JA: Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rusty hes 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?
Customer: He has a little dermatitis from fleas but that's going away. He grew up some grad this sm Am
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you able to see the blade of grass at all?
2) How long has this been an issue?
3) Any vomiting?
4) Is he able to eat any food effectively without gagging?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can't see the grass. When he eats he gags
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm afraid I am unable to make a phone call at this time.

How long has this been an issue?
Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok.. it just happen this am. He's afraid eat it makes him gag
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The blade of grass that did come up was a blade that has small fought hair like texture

The grass blade may or may not still be there. It can cause a lot of irritation having plant material pressed against the back of the throat. You can try giving a few drops of honey orally which may help coat the back of the throat and reduce the irritation. However, if you continue to see symptoms and are concerned, an exam would be useful. If the blade is stuck there, a vet can sedate Rusty and should be able to remove it. Once he's eating again without gagging, soft foods for at least a week are indicated and you may wish to add canned pumpkin to sweep down any additional grassy fibers that might be in the esophagus.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Great thank you.. I'll try this.
You answered a lot of my questions.

Happy to help. Good luck!