PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat just started throwing up blood? Her kittens have

My cat just started throwing up blood? Her kittens have round worms which I just treated. I treated her about two weeks ago with advantage.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: It is not the kitten's it is the mother that is throwing up blood, and no she started throwing up this morning just some food, but now she is just throwing up blood and will not eat.
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bobbie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bobbie?
Customer: no

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was Bobbie treated for roundworms too? If so, what product was used?

Has a negative fecal been had for mom or the kittens since treatment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she has not been treated yet just got the medicine today and gave it to her kittens but didn't give it to her yet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was treated with advantage multi about two weeks ago.

Because she is vomiting blood, your best bet will be to have her examined. This can be a symptoms that is either completely benign or very major. Through the computer, I cannot tell you which it is which necessitates a visit to the ER/your vet.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take to help with the vomiting. Once this has cleared, you can give her medication. The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Blend this up with water to form a slurry she can consume. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats. During this time, she can be medicated.

Please note: If you're using advantage multi, it may not rid her of roundworms quickly or effectively. Your best bet will be diagnosis through a fecal (especially to be sure that's all she has) and then deworming with an oral medication.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The close's vet to me at this time of night is two hours away. Should I go ahead and give her the medicine for the worms? Will that cause her to throw up blood if she has worms? I will take her to the vet in the morning unless she starts throwing up more, then I will take her tonight but if the worm medicine might help I will go ahead and give it to her tonight.

As mentioned above, you're going to need to treat the vomiting before the worms. Things will only get worse if you deworm her. Focus on stopping the vomiting first with famotidine, if you cannot make the 2 hour trip. She can be dewormed in the near future, once the vomiting has stopped. Just like treating an upset stomach in people, we don't try to give anything by mouth until the vomiting has stopped because it's counterproductive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Thank You

Good luck!