Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I need help to stop my Birman girl peeing on my lounge and

Customer Question

I need help to stop my Birman girl peeing on my lounge and bed, the places I would be the most. I brought her here soon after my 18 year old Birman passed.
The first time she was 6 months. I was trainer her to use the toilet with a plastic insert that you gradually cut the hole larger until it is just the toilet seat. She became insecure when i made the hole bigger. So we scrapped it and went back using a litter tray.
Then my adult daughter and her 18 year old Birman, who used to live here, moved back.
She stressed as she was pushed down the pecking order. One morning she was playing in their room, raced to my room, leaped on my bed while I was in it, peed, and raced off again.
Now I am breeding her and its happening big time as she's come into call. When I took her to mate, breeder told me my girls mum and sister sprayed too.
She may not be pregnant as she yoadled, became very vocal last night. Out if nowhere she peed on the lounge and on my friend who was sitting there!
Im very concerned. I dont want to breed this trait. Kittens are for my adult kids.
Can she be helped?
Her litter is clean. I have cleaned with pheremone cleaner and added pheramone spray.
Can you help?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Julie, have you had a urinalysis performed on her by your vet to ensure that this is not related to a urinary tract concern, such as an infection? I ask specifically because we commonly see these behaviors in cats who are suffering from a UTI and the treatment is often simple and straight forward.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes I have.Julie

In this case, your next step either needs to be separating her from the 18 year old to lower her stress level or talking to your vet about using behavioral medications on her. And this may not be an option until after she has weaned her kittens. Unfortunately, these types of behaviors do tend to be passed down lines from mother to daughter when it comes to being easily stressed. It may help to have her spayed as females are more likely to urinate inappropriately when they are intact. If you elect to pet the kittens to your adult children, ensuring that they are altered before sexual maturity may help to ensure that they do not respond to stress through urination, as well. When talking to your vet about behavioral meds, I would discuss Elavil or Prozac. Also be sure that you are using an enzymatic cleaner to clean your home in areas where she has urinated or it may increase the risk of her using the spot repeatedly.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The older cat and my daughter have moved out. There is just myself and Angel.I think, she is claiming me as its in the places I sit.She is very outgoing... I dont see any stress in her. She sleeps out in the open.I did use an enzyme cleaner. And then sprayed with pherimones.I also fed her treats in the same area as they usually dont pee where they are fed.I am hoping for behavioral tips as I dont like puting her in meds, and I am breeding her.Is there an animal behaviorist there as well?

I'll opt out and see if someone else is available to assist you further. I would recommend rechecking her urinalysis if the last one occurred before they moved out and even blood work, if this has not been done. As mentioned above, medications would likely be used AFTER she had raised her litter as it's seldom ideal to use these types of meds while mothers are pregnant, nursing and raising young.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello,Yes maybe I should visit the vet and get blood done.Older cat moved out a while ago.Thanks for trying. Its a tricky one.
Im seeking a behaviorist.Thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.

Hi Julie

I can help you with this as I have encountered similar problems with cat behavior.

I totally agree Angel is doing this because she was temporarily pushed out of the pack hierarchy.

How long the older cat gone?

After your reply please give me time to type detailed answer.It will be a little while because I am going to have dinner now.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello Terri,Thank you for responding.Angel is 1 year old. She came here 6 weeks after my 18 year old passed.My daughter and her cat were here for 2 months and left 3 months ago.These are the reasons I think.
1st time- didnt like using the toilet and wanted her kitty litter back.
2nd time- stress from pecking order. Claiming me for safety as hers.
3rd time- had house guests for 3 days. Starting to come into heat.
4th time- peed 5 times on lounge and poohed once. Coming into heat, so I sent her to the breeder.
5th time- 1 week back from breeder. Yodeling, restless, vocal. Peed on the lounge and my friend sitting there.Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.

Dear *****

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

I think we are kindred spirits because I agree with you 100%

You should be a cat behaviorist because you completely understand them.

They do not rationalize, nor are they capable of in depth thought or reasoning.

Everything they do is basic, logical (to them) and makes perfect sense.

In a cat hierarchy a strong kitty will always try to take over and assume the head cat position. In addition, that is always subject to changes if cat one senses weakness in cat two. Cats DO work things out in their own way and they could care less what humans (or behaviorists) think. They only respond to the energy of another animal be it feline, canine or human.

A Birman girl is like the prom queen, classy, aloof, dignified with a sprinkle of

I bred Birmans for many years. They like to bond with one person and give their loyalty BUT in return they want to OWN you.

You are Angels "mommy" HER PERSON and she can get quite jealous if she is faced with any competition

So, when you daughter showed up with another cat, no less, she decided she had to claim you as her own.

She took to urinating in spots where she smelled your scent. She wants to mix the two scents so you are one entity.

She felt the household energy change so she fought to maintain her position the only way she knows.

The next stressers are the hormones raging through her body when she is in heat.

The ways to stop this are first by raising her confidence. Place her high up on a cat condo. The higher she is, the more important she will feel.

Use zero odor to clean any accidents, then spray with feliway to fool her into thinking the spots are already marked.

Put a few drops of lemon or orange on the sheet and divan. Cats HATE the smell of citrus so she will avoid peeing there.

Add rescue remedy to her water:

Use positive energy when you look at her. Be sure you're thinking "I LOVE Angel! She is a GOOD, BEAUTIFUL kitty"!

Please let me know how things are going. If you have any questions along the way, I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Terri,I think a high condo would be a good thing.
I will also try rescue remedy and a pheroimone defuser.Maybe i need to pherimone my guests? LolMy next problem is..... I am breeding her. I dont want to produce problems for new owners.
Im so sad because my plan is to breed Angel and give her kittens to my 2 grown children and keep one for Angel.But it could end up in a big mess ! Of pee !
Are pee-ers always pee-ers? Did u have this problem when u were breeding?Angels mum and sister have peed when in heat.Julie
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Terri,
I cant press the rating stars. Is it because im on my iphone?
Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.

You are more than welcome, Julie.

No, Birmans are usually very clean. I think the stressors caused Angel to behave this way.Many whole cats pee out of box when in heat. It is their calling card to attract a male.

I don't think she or her offspring are destined to be pee-ers. I suppose kittens given as pets will be spayed and fixed cats do not spray.

BTW: keep a male because another female in the house will incite jelousy in Angel

Please keep in touch and let me know how she is doing.

There is no hurry to rate just wait till you go on your computer

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Terri,My 'plan' was to give Angel 2 litters, keep and breed her kitten.Also my daughter wanted to breed her kitten.Hmmm but she will get jealous of a girl :(Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 7 days ago.

Dear *****,

Everytime you have intact kitties in the house you run the risk of spraying and inappropriate soiling.

However, in Angels case, I believe her marking is related to stress and insecurity.

She is very attached to you and gets jealous if she thinks her territory or position are threatened.

So, I would work on building her self confidence and making her feel important. Plus reduce her stress level with feliway and rescue remedy. Also use citrus to keep her from soiling the bed and divan.

I kept a daughter from my first Birmans litter and they were fine together so hopefully, if you work on Angel's insecurity now to make her feel important she may be fine with another female. However, SHE will strive for Head Kitty position.

I want you to know this is a ONE TIME charge. Even after you rate I will still work with you if you have more questions along the way. I will keep our conversation open even after you rate.

Warmest best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Terri,Thank you for your advise.I will do all you suggest.Im an artist and Angel is a 'studio cat'. She greets my students and sometimes falls asleep on their laps. She's very social and everyone loves her.When we have parties she hangs around, unlike my last Birmans who would take themselves upstairs.Seems strange that Miss Confident could feel insecure. I must have over loved her. Everyone who comes to the house cuddles and loves her.I think youre right, she gets jealous. Shes a bit spoilt, I think.I sprayed the lounge with pherimones, removed the soiled cushions, went out for the night and returned to a pee Present.Shall see how we go. The next few weeks will tell as she is either pregnant or coming back into call.Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 7 days ago.

Hi Julie,

She felt insure due to the older kitty that came in with your daughter, the stress of strangers, the hormones of being in heat.

She wants to claim you which is why she pees where she smells your scent.

You need to use citrus to deter from soiling those areas.

Plus she needs to be "UP" high on her cat tree and furniture.

Does this make sense?

I am confident we can stop this out of box soiling with a little love, understanding and persistence

Expert:  Terri replied 6 days ago.

Hi Julie

How are things with Angel?

Have you tried any of my suggestions?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Terri,Thanks for checking in.I now have a plug in pheramone defuser. I found 'chill out' treats so I will give her some before my friend comes today, and some during.
I've put rescue remedy in her water.I also notice she's using the private cubby house I made her and put catnip in. She has stopped scratching to get in my wardrobe.She loves the 'laser pointer' so I bought an auto toy to help wear her out.Need more thought on the cat tree as space is limited so I will design one.Shall see how we go now.Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 6 days ago.

Hi Julie

So, would you say peeing on your bed and the divan has stopped?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Terri,It's too soon to know. I only went to the pet store and set things up yesterday afternoon.I think that she could revert to this behaviour when she has a problem, which could be months. That's when I'll know if there is any change. It hadn't been an every day thing.I will let you know how she goes. I will test her by bringing visitors and friends around to stay.Thanks Terri. Do u still breed or have Birmans? I lost my gorgeous 18 yr old boy last year.... Best nature ever. But he also had a rough time in his first year.:) Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 5 days ago.

Hi Julie,

I hope all is going well with Angel.

I no longer breed (cats got old) but I have 4 awesome Birmans that I kept: Alexa, Serena, Aaron and Alec.All fixed.

I LOVE them! They are my furry children.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. Rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at NO additional charge.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Terri,They must be gorgeous.Out of the blue, she peed on the lounge again. Same spot but on a blanket. No one else here. Just peed a little so I took her to her litter where she finished it.
Actually come to think of it, she was very energetic when we played after that so she had built up energy.
I was having dinner after work when she peed.
Had a friend over the other day and she was good.
She has been spending more time in her cubby house upstairs.Any clues?
Expert:  Terri replied 3 days ago.

They ARE purrfect!

Did you try some citrus on the lounge to deter her?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Terri,
Oh ok, thats for the lounge? I havent found any yet only a citrus cleaner.
Will keep trying. I have put eucalyptus oil...
Ok c how we go.Julie
Expert:  Terri replied 23 hours ago.

Hi Julie,

Don't use eucalyptus oil or any essential oils because they are dangerous to cats.

You can make your on citrus deterrent with lemon or orange peels or drops.

Grate the peel, place it in a clean sock, tie the top and place it under the cushions or mattress.

Put drops on a puppy pad and place it on the top of the lounge and bed.

Let me know if that works,'

Customer: replied 14 hours ago.
Hi Terri,Ok I will make some citrus and try your suggestions.Hopefully we will see some improvement.Its been a tricky one.Thanks
From julie
Customer: replied 2 hours ago.
Hi Terri,I put mandarine skins all over my lounge (temporary measure).
She avoided the lounge cushion and peed on the cushion!She was meowing and we have been playing for the last few hours, but got tired and i didnt respond... So she peed !Ive let her go outside where she is happy and quiet.Had a visitor today. She slept on his lap.Julie