Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

The cat is not eating or drinking for 4-5 days. Lethargic

Customer Question

The cat is not eating or drinking for 4-5 days. Lethargic and dehydrated. Took him to the vet on Tuesday and he got a antibiotic, 150 cc subQ fluids and Tobramycin eye drop for rt eye infection. He's very congested. he just sits on his haunches but moves around the back yard. I've kept water close and even tried force feeding. He is unable to meow only a low inner growl like.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Casey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Casey?
Customer: He is/was feral and I took him in about 5 years ago. He's neutered and only had appropriate shots when he went in for surgery over 3 yrs ago. He comes in for feeding and then goes out. He mostly stays out. Always been active and normal.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 12 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry Casey is not feeling well.

He may have a sore throat or be hypoglycemic.

Rub a drop of honey into his gums every 4 hours. It will sooth his throat and raise his blood sugar.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish. See if he will lap it up. If he does offer some tuna.

If possible bring him in so you can make a steamroom in your bathroom by running a hot shower. Take him in for ten minute intervals to break up congestion.

Get a jar of chicken baby food with no onion powder. Warm it so he can easily smell it.

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?