Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat just died, and we have other cats. Her equilibrium

Customer Question

my cat just died, and we have other cats. Her equilibrium was off and she couldn't walk suddenly. She threw up some foam. She couldn't hold her bladder. She was panting heavily. Could she have had something contagious to our other cats?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She weighed about 20 pounds, She was a white cat and had a sweet disposition. She was nervous around other people, but not us.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your companion.

1) How old was she?
2) When did her symptoms begin?
3) Any exposure to toxins?
4) When was she last examined? Was any recent blood work performed?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She was 10 years old. Symptoms began yesterday. She was hiding under a bed and we heard her crying. No exposure to toxins that we are aware of. She hasn't had recent blood work or recent exam.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My most concern is for the other cats now.

At 10 years of age, it's more likely that she had some variety of underlying medical issue. With symptoms you witnessed, there are a wide variety of things that may have been to blame including pancreatitis, a seizure disorder, organ dysfunction including heart disease, etc. Very rarely do we see these types of symptoms passed on directly to other cats from exposure, especially if this is a closed household and your girl was not routinely exposed to other animals in the neighborhood.

If you want the most information available, consider having a necropsy performed post-mortem where a veterinarian can take a look at her internal organs. If needed, they can also take samples post-mortem and have them analyzed by a lab to determine toxin exposure, if this becomes an increased concern on list of potential causes.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How are your other cats doing?