Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Mingka has lost a lot of weight over the last 10-12 days.

Customer Question

Mingka has lost a lot of weight over the last 10-12 days. She tries to eat and drink and I am only giving her soft things, tuna, chicken meat, very small pieces. But can only lick it or take s few small bites. Other than a possible swallowed and stuck bone or something, what else can cause so much weight loss so quickly? She does not have tape worm.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did Mingka last have blood work?

Is she able to eat any food readily or just small pieces and fluid?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Never had blood work. Can only eat cry small pieces and fluid.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can only eat small pieces and fluid. And less interested each day.

The question is what started this for her. The weight loss is likely due to her not being able to eat very much. If she has not had blood work performed or even a recent exam, my concerns with her age would be oral pain, organ dysfunction, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. I would recommend having her examined, blood work performed including a thyroid panel and an exam performed to determine if she is in need of a dental cleaning/extractions.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The reason I'm on this site is because I don't want to go to the vet. As much as I love her, she is an outdoor mouser cat and I just can't justify spending 100's of $ on her.

You did ask what could cause weight loss so quickly and those are your top answers. If you wish to avoid veterinary care for her, you'r best bet is continue as you're doing now with soft foods. Eventually with more persistent weight loss, you're likely going to need to consider euthanasia for her vs. allowing her to continue to lose more weight. Alas, she is over 12 years of age and just like a senior human the risk of her body beginning to fail is a substantial one.