Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

She's losing weight and can hardly walk. Trying to eat and

She's losing weight and can hardly walk. Trying to eat and drink but having a hard time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No she can walk but she's lost so much weight she's tipsy.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: If she ate a bird or mouse and has a bone or something stuck would it do this to her? Her name is ***** ***** she's 14. She's a small tuxedo cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mingka?
Customer: The weight loss has been over the last 10-12 days.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

I'm so sorry Mingka is exhibiting these symptoms and has you worried.

For the moment, you can rub a couple of drops of honey, corn syrup or pancake syrup into her gums, as she must be hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) if she hasn't been eating well. She's probably dehydrated, too, if she's not drinking properly, so you can try to get her to lap up some water from a can of regular tuna (for humans, not tuna flavored cat food). Finger feeding her some plain, jarred baby food chicken or turkey containing NO onion or garlic products, is also a good idea, to get some nutrition into her. Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken is a good one.

With older cats there are many possibilities for weight loss and if she spends time outside hunting, and eating her prey, that can be dangerous if she ate a mouse who had eaten rat poison, because then, she would be 'poisoned by proxy'. Most rat poison contains a substance that prevents the blood from clotting, that's why it's so dangerous to cats or other critters that eat rodents.

Medical conditions more prevalent in senior cats are diabetes, liver disease, hyperthyroidism and kidney disease. If she can hardly eat or drink, lost so much weight over a short period of time and is almost too weak to stand, she needs to be evaluated in person by a vet, asap so you can find out a diagnosis and then she'll be treated. Sometimes, the vet will be able to get her back on track with medications and/or supplements and dietary changes, but it depends what is found, after some blood work.

At this time, from what you describe, it's sounds quite critical and not something you can treat at home, because you don't know what's causing the problem, so if you can get her to an ER vet tonight, that would be great!

I hope all will be well with your Mingka!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Hello again,

How is Mingka doing today? Did you try any of my suggestions?

Please let me know, as I am concerned for her. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hi again,

I'm just following up on Mingka to see how she's doing, now.

Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She died last Friday 10/14. She was still eating and drinking but very little. And it seemed she was having trouble swallowing. I'm thinking it was something she ate - she was mostly an outdoor cat. I'm very sad.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news about your beloved Mingka. I agree; I think it was something she ingested outside.

I understand how sad you are; I have had to say goodbye to several cats in my lifetime and it always hurts a lot. However, you gave her a great life and she knew how much she was loved. You have your photos and memories and she will always occupy a special place in your heart. When you feel ready, go to this pet loss website, scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on 'The Poem.' This helped me greatly when I lost my last furry boy:

http://rainbowbridge.com/

------------

Again, my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your furry girl.

All my best thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thank you very much for your positive rating; it was very kind of you.

Warmest wishes,

Cher