Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a cat carpet urination problem....have a male and

Customer Question

I have a cat carpet urination problem....have a male and female cat....they seem jealous....but no matter how much affection i give them they pee on carpet....Dunno what to do.....changed litter brands...nadda.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are both cats spayed/neutered?
2) When did this begin?
3) How old are they?
4) Are they declawed?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
both spayed/neutered......been going on since had both cats together.....10yrs give or take.....they best estimate.....12-15 yrs declaw.

What cleaning solution are you using?

Have blood work and urinalysis been performed on both cats?

Any behavioral meds tried yet?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
dont like where this is going but....Resolve blood work or meds geez
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
maybe urinalysis on male.....he has had crystals
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
but female is the major prob......i can tell who dun it....since his crystals issue he dane pee i know if big puddle its the fem

Is there a certain recommendation you're looking for? If you are looking for something specific, it may help to outright ask about it and I'll see if I can help with an answer more toward what you're looking for.

At their age and with the male's history, this sounds like it may be linked to a medical issue for at least one of them. Resolve is not an enzymatic cleaner and though it does clean the soiled area it will not fully remove the urine smell so the cats will continue to return. You may have one cat (suspect the male since he has had crystals) who has gone somewhere and the other cat may believe the area is an approved spot to urinate and go where he's gone. We most commonly see this when non-enzymatic cleaners are used. That said, long term problems can result in behavioral issues as well where it may require treating any underlying medical issue in one or both cats and using behavioral meds (like elavil) in one or both cats to get them to stop going outside of the box. If you aren't 100% sure of what has been done and when, especially with their ages, I would err on the side of caution and have blood work and urinalysis run on both. Many cats with a history of crystals will need a long-term diet change and if he's a cat who did not receive could be the catalyst.

This is my favorite enzymatic cleaner:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok......not much help at all...will check the enzyme stuff....but you referrenced the males prob.....the fems is the culprite 90% of time...ok then sorry not out some money but hope the enzime link will be good

As I mentioned, the female may be urinating where the male is already going. Without addressing this first from a medical standpoint, you may find that the enzymatic cleaner doesn't help as it does not stop the original problem from happening. Your male has a history of urinary issues and you did not mention any treatment that he's undergoing for the crystals he's had, so I suspect this may be a recurring issue for him. If so, the female may simply be following in suit. You won't know without blood work and a urinalysis. At their age, they're also prone to other problems like kidney disfunction, diabetes, etc. Your vet will be the person who can help you best at this point.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
they urinate in dif locations.but ok i have limited budget and yours requires lots of money....cya....lost money here as if i had the money would take them to vet....ok so now i know no one can help without bad feelings just...dam easy answer to all probs is take to vet...can i get my money back? no offense.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
seems like a scam dunno?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
plz dont contact me anymore...thx...btw......$20 buks fer a enzyme link....what up with the money back gurantee?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i dont expect a bad for being guilable
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i didnt see any option for money back G....o well.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
you have a good one