Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Sneezing for a week, nasal discharge and left eye is glazed

Customer Question

sneezing for a week, nasal discharge and left eye is glazed over white and runny. I bought terramycin for it yesterday. I'm afraid she will lose the eye. What do I do about sneezing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: a kitten... 8-9 weeks old guessing... got from shelter.. she was healthy
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 11 days ago.

Bless you for saving a shelter kitty.

I am sorry your new fur baby is ill. Upper respiratory virus runs rampant in shelters.

For the eye, use terramycin as directed.

Also apply a cool, damp teabag to her eye several times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth.

Give lysine:

Add 250 mg of lysine to her water or use these:

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?