Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My kitty is has a brownish and some yellow discharge I just

Customer Question

My kitty is has a brownish and some yellow discharge I just found on her cat bed. It is a lot. She is a rescue cat, and before we adopted her she had hernia surgery. She is spayed. She is eatting, drinking, and going potty normal. She has no unusual behavior... her nose is wet like normal. She is a large tuxedo breed. She probably weighs 30 lbs. She gets around well, and is her normal talkative self. She is 11 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Babette
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Babette?
Customer: No I think that it. I feel no lumps or anything.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 19 days ago.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry that this discharge of Babette's has you worried.

Did it look like diarrhea or something she spit up?

What consistency was it? Was it mucus-like?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to type your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 19 days ago.

Hi again,

If this large amount of discharge was either vomit or a loose stool, the yellow color of part of it may indicate a problem with her liver. Babette is quite overweight, at 30 lbs. and this can be the source of certain medical conditions, especially in senior cats, like diabetes, liver or kidney problems.

You might want to make a change to her food, to keep her more healthy, if she is not currently eating high quality canned food that is grain-free. Here is an excellent article written by a feline vet about the best way to feed our cats:

There's also a possibility that this discharge could be from her anal glands, indicating that the fluid within may be infected or impacted.

I'm glad that she seems to be eating, drinking and pottying normally and is talkative, as usual; however, a complete, in-person physical, including a routine senior blood test and urinalysis at her vet's, would be a good idea, to make sure all is well. If you can, bring a sample of the substance you found on her cat bed with you, to the vet's office, for analysis.

I hope all will be well with Babette!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 15 days ago.

Just following up to see how things are going with Babette. Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know.