Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I had gotten a script from my vet for him for Xanax while we

Customer Question

Hi! I had gotten a script from my vet for him for Xanax while we traveled (driving) I gave him .25 (2mg bar) for initial dose and he was ok- not really relaxed, so I gave him the 1/2 bar the dose prescribed today before our longest drive and he's meowing even more and can't really use his back legs (they're kind of limp)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of- he was boarded last night and given fhis dose about an hour before I picked him up Bc we were leaving straight away
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jake, 16
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about jake?
Customer: He just had his annual on Wednesday and everything was perfect w him
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I read side effects and I think this is sensory in nature- he was kind of falling over initially when I picked him up and he can use his front legs fine now-
How long does it take for them to wear off?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 13 days ago.

I hope this is a side effect of the Xanax. In that case, the signs should wear off within 8-12 hours.

The other thing I would worry about is a saddle thrombus. This is where a clot goes to the back legs and they get hind limb paralysis. It can happen suddenly and without warning. It happens in cats with underlying, often undiagnosed, heart disease.

Unfortunately, the prognosis is poor with a saddle thrombus. Most cats are euthanized due to poor quality of life and due to the discomfort associated with it.

For now, I would give it the time for the Xanax to wear off. If still no improvement, then get an exam to determine if this is a saddle thrombus.

Best of luck. I hope everything gets back to normal. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?