Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He's a year old mix that has been having clear, slightly

Customer Question

He's a year old mix that has been having clear, slightly bloody bowel movements. I took him to thne vet and they charged me $580 for an x-ray. The said he has a soft tissue mass between his back bone and his colon. I put him on antibiotics and he seemed to recover until about 2 months after the antibiotics ran out and he's slowly getting sick again. Now they want to do an ultra sound. I can't afford it. The $580 I had to put on a credit card and will have to slowly pay it off. What options do I have?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Zane
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zane?
Customer: No, he is a rescued cat and adopted him and his brother.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that you don't have an answer yet. I don't think an ultrasound is going to give you the answer either. You really need to go in surgically to know what the mass is and if it's resectable.

I would put the money into surgery if you're going to pay for something. This way you're getting a diagnosis and treating at the same time.

If surgery is not an option, then I would consider steroids (Prednisolone) to try to shrink it down. Pred is used for the most common abdominal mass in cats- Lymphoma. It would not be common in a cat this young, but we can see it at times when cats are Feline Leukemia or FIV positive. They are much more likely to develop Lymphoma when younger.

I hope this helps give you some ideas of options. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The vwet asked me if he had been tested for Leukemia or FIV but I could not find it in his medical chart when I took hom from the shelter. Isn't that a standard test? (Prednisolone) is this something I have to have a prescription for?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
After spending $580 plus $137 on blood work, i am tapped out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Prednisolone) is this something I have to have a prescription for?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Not all shelters will test for FeLV/ FIV. It is definitely something worth considering.

Pred is something that your vet could prescribe if you decide to hold off on further diagnostics and just go with a symptomatic treatment.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you think he will eventually have to have surgery?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What would a surgery like that cost? So I can start saving up?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Here at an ER in Michigan, that would run ~ 2000. In a day practice, it may be(###) ###-#### With a boarded specialist, it could run 3000-5000. It can vary quite a bit.