Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat hasnt eaten in over a week and he was losing weight.

Customer Question

My cat hasnt eaten in over a week and he was losing weight. The. He got outside and I found him last night severely dehydrated, hadnt been washing himself and had mess on his bum. I forced him to has about 20ml of water and he peed and was having diarhea all night and puking grren bile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: I cant think of anything
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better, however, I feel your best approach to care will be to have him evaluated by your vet. In not eating for a week, the risk of liver problems is increased. Blood work and symptomatic treatment is indicated. Failing this, I have included instructions below to calm the stomach and address not eating and the diarrhea.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Blend this food with water to make a slurry. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Unfortunately I had to euthanize him. He had lymphoma and was suffering for much longer than henled on. ��
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 days ago.

Oh, no. I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for letting me know how the situation turned out.