Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

He throws up everything he eats. Dry food, canned food and

Customer Question

He throws up everything he eats. Dry food, canned food and treats. He is a 16 year old Tabby and has lost a lot of tone in his body. The throwing up has been going on for a couple of days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the tabby eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not at all. He doesn't seem to like the canned food much anymore so I have tried different brands.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the tabby's name?
Customer: Ace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ace?
Customer: He has been more affectionet than usual.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time Ace had blood work performed?
2) Is he on any medication at this time?
3) Is he still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Along time ago. He is an inside cat and is on no medication. He just nibbles and then 5 minutes later he gets sick. He is known to have hairballs too.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
sorry but if I am to pay this kind of money, I will just make a doc appointment. Thanksanyway

It sounds like the website has offered you a phone call. This is not an obligation, just an upgraded service offer. Some people prefer it.

It wouldn't hurt to start giving him laxatone to help with hairballs. You can use this daily. Your vet should carry it an also most pet stores. It's not a prescription item.

At his age, I would recommend some blood work: A full panel chemistry, CBC, electrolyte and thyroid panel. With the loss often, vomiting, etc. We should be concerned about kidney disease, liver disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. Bloodwork can promptly inform you of abnormalities and let you know what needs to be done to improve your cat's health/treat the affliction. Once underlying illness are addressed, the tone of the body should improve and the vomiting should stop.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?