Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Discovered a few scabs on her head, Gracie about 10-yrs.

Customer Question

discovered a few scabs on her head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gracie about 10-yrs. old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did these lesions start?
2) Are you seeing any crusting or pus?
3) How large are these scabs?
4) Is she indoors only?
5) Are they itchy?
6) Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) about 3-months ago or longer
2) crusting....no pus
3) small - <1/4"
4) yes....indoors only
5) no

It sounds like you may be observing miliary dermatitis in your cat, which is commonly linked to allergies. I can give you some steps to try at home, but she may also need antibiotics. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2117&aid=150

If she's not on a monthly flea prevention, it would be wise to start one.

You can treat the miliary dermatitis with an OTC antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine. Give 1-4mg by mouth up to twice daily as needed. You may need 5-10 days of every day dosing to see the highest improvement for her and these may need to be used every day to keep symptoms at bay.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?