Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My house cat got lost when the door was left ooen by mistake

Customer Question

My house cat got lost when the door was left ooen by mistake and it started to rain. Apparently she lost her scent because when I found her after 3 days she was
too traumatized to come to me. She stays in the bushes or just runs. What can I do? The only thing I've been able to do was feed her from afar. She is about 4 years old, is a short haired tuxedO cat want-to-be, or all black with a tiny bit of white on her breastbone.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Your best bet is going to be contacting local shelters, SPCA's or purchasing a humane trap. The idea here will be to lure her into the trap with food and once caught she can be released back into your home. This method is used quite often when cats lose their way outside or need to be relocated to a new area.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have done the humane trap, but she won't go in it. 4 days worth. Is there anything that can be put in her food to make her fall asleep fast before she races off?

Not without an examination. Even then, it takes hours for them to be fully effective to a point where you might be able to catch her by hand. What's worse is if you don't. She then cannot protect herself.

If you will tell me more about your procedure with the trap, I'll be happy to help you trouble shoot your concern. I have been trapping cats for well over 15 years and have yet to meet one I haven't been able to lure into a trap.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?