Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He is breathing heheavily and is making a gurgly sound he is

Customer Question

He is breathing heheavily and is making a gurgly sound he is also having trouble walking with his back legs and seems to be in his major discomfort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No everything was fine and he was having a nap and then all the sudden he got up trotted funny what into a place where he normally doesn't sit and started acting like this
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tigger and 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tigger?
Customer: Well he is an overweight cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am so sorry Tiger is ill

Do his legs feel cold or have blue nail beds?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

The thing I am most concerned about is a blood clot.

This blood clot can leave the heart in the large blood vessels exiting the heart, but then get stuck in many of the smaller blood vessels leaving those major arteries. When this happens, it can cut off blood supply to a limb. Suddenly the cat limps on that limb and is very painful.

Think of wrapping an elastic band tightly around your finger. Pretty quickly it becomes painful and it is hard to use the finger. This is essentially the same thing that happens when a thrombus blocks blood supply to a cat's limb.

On exam, these kitties present with pain and limping. If the clot has gone to the right front leg (the first "exit" from the major arteries) that foot will be colder than the others and the nail beds will be blue. The blood clot may lodge in the caudal vena cava, which is a major blood vessel leading to both back legs. In this case, the cat will not be able to use the back legs but will drag them around and will be in severe pain. If this happened some time ago, the limbs may be so numb by now that there is no pain from them anymore. However, the pads will be notably cool, the nail beds will be blue and the cat will not have pulses on the back legs. This carries a grave prognosis.

Early treatment involves drugs to stop more clots from forming - the choices are aspirin or coumadin (rodenticide, rat poison, warfarin). Unfortunately, if there is a major clot to both back legs, treatment may not be possible.

Does this sound like Tigger's problem?

Please let me know if you wish to speak on the phone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the help as I am at the vets now. Thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

You are more than welcome.It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please let me know how Tigger is doing.

Sending love and prayers for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vet's exam on Tigger showed major fluids in the lungs which is why he was breathing heavily and agrees it was a clot that was affecting the legs. She also mention "fat cat syndrome' as she had a cat just like Tigger and went thru the same thing. Since he was in a lot of distress and pain, and no real hope of rebounding, I had Tigger put to sleep.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am so very sorry to hear such sad news about dear Tigger.

I know you loved him very much and did everything possible to save him.

My deepest, heartfelt sympathy for your loss.

Love,

Terri