Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

She's having severe muscle spasms in her hind legs, and her

Customer Question

She's having severe muscle spasms in her hind legs, and her pain meds aren't helping. As I suffer from a similar set of problems, I have some muscle relaxants, but I'm trying to remember which are safe for cats and in what doses. I know that Robin used to be, but I don't have any; anything else I can do, she really can't even sleep, at this point, she just worries at the legs all the time (speculation is that she suffered abuse that caused some kind of neural damage before I adopted her from a shelter, and over the summer she also lost her tail to a fisher). I just want to know if there's ANYTHING I can do that won't be toxic.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: Just what she normally eats, Elegant Medleys canned food.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Nope. Some neural, possibly ligament damage in her hind legs, plus losing her tail a couple of months ago (only cat I've ever heard of fending off a fisher, but she's a Siberian and ferocious).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry to hear your cat is so uncomfortable.

There are no over the counter muscle relaxants that are safe for cats. You can give methocarbamol (Robaxin), 100 mg 2 to 3 times daily.

Gabapentin may be a good idea since she sounds painful and it may be neuropathic pain, pain from an injury to the spinal cord or nerves. 25 to 50 mg twice daily. It is by prescription.

If this started from an injury, pain medication such as Onsior and buprenorphine might help. What pain meds is she getting now?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with any other questions?