Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

She has a wolf worm and I don't have money to take her to

Customer Question

She has a wolf worm and I don't have money to take her to the vet. Is there any way I can get it out at home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** my best guess is around 3-4 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cricket?
Customer: She's not as playful today so I'm wondering could this cause her to run fever or feel bad. I've never had a cat so I'm just learning.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your cat has this parasite.

Usually these do not make a cat sick, or have a fever.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I remove these by enlarging the hole a little with forceps, tweezers, or hemostats, and then pull the worm out with the same tool. Applying a topical anesthetic helps, if you have anything like lidocaine cream

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Sometimes you can push them out from beneath. Be careful not to break up the worm if you do.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you are able to see my response! Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so I can take my tweezers and enlarge the hole and then I should be able to pull the worm out?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Yes that is what I do. Just be careful to pull it out gently, so it does not break up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will it look like you are pulling the inside of the hole out? I have no clue. I put some topical anesthetic cream around it and opened the hole a little but no luck yet with getting anything out. It's just bloody yucky stuff oozing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

No, just that you are pulling the worm out. Only grab the worm with the tweezers, or try squeezing it out from below. Are you sure there is a worm in there? This could be an infection, or abscess.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would see it moving in there so I'm pretty sure it's a worm
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

If it is worm, it has to breathe from time to time and you see its head move into the little hole. If it is an infection, there may just be fluid moving around inside.

Can you post a picture?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with any other questions? How is she today?