Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She is struggling to jump up on the bed. Not really sure. I

Customer Question

She is struggling to jump up on the bed.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Not really sure. I just noticed that it seems difficult for her to jump up on the bed.
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: I'miss not sure
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Not really although yesterday I notice that the muscles in her rear legs were twiching when she was standing still.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mille and she'said about10
JA: How old is Mille?
Customer: About 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mille?
Customer: Well she is a bit fat...but she has always been fat ever since she had a litter of kittens about 8 years ago.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What does Millie do that makes you believe it's hard for her to jump on the bed?
2) Is she declawed?
3) Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She is not on any meds. She is not declawed. She acts like she's gonna jump up then doesn't several times before jumping and then when she does she only makes it part way and then has to use her claws to climb the rest of the way. I do not have an unusually high bed. And this is not the way she used the jump up. It used to be a lot easier for her.

At her age, I would also consider that her vision may be impaired instead of pain being the cause. This is common in cats who are struggling to complete a jump from floor-to-surface or surface-to-surface. It would not be a bad idea to have her examined, x-rays performed on her back/hips/knees and also to have updated diagnostics performed such as blood work to ensure that nothing is off which might have resulted in vision impairment. We can see degeneration of vision with diabetes, for example, as well as glaucoma, feline leukemia, feline aids, toxoplasmosis, etc.

It may help her to add in a joint supplement such as glucosamine for cats available here:
If this is determine to be linked to pain, your vet can prescribe medication to alleviate discomfort such as tramadol or buprenorphine. Once the discomfort is addressed, assuming that is the cause, her ability to complete jumps should be improved greatly.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 16 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?