Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

2yr-old Chinchilla, litter trained well as a kitten, but has

2yr-old Chinchilla, litter trained well as a kitten, but has now been urinating on furniture for about 6 months. Vet checked for urine infection but ok. Tried Felliway diffuser & Clomical tablets but still happening on irregular occasions when left unsupervised. She is the youngest of 4 cats & likes to be dominant. there are 5 litter trays in 2 locations & she uses them for defaecation. Trays changed regularly. Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: She is spoilt Princess Aurora.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No, quite healthy & fully immunised. She does startle at any unusual noise or when someone comes to the house, & likes to waylay the other cats & give them a swipe.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Very long 8 minutes wait! If the time zone is an issue, please give me a more accurate estimate.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am so sorry you had to wait so long. There is a time difference in the USA.

May I please have more information about Princess Aurora so I can figure out what is causing this problem?

Is she spayed?

How long is she soiling furniture?

What does she eat

Who is the head kitty of the colony?

Where does she fit in?

After you reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for delay in my reply, but I have only just received it. Yes, she is spayed. As mentiooned in my question, soiling for about 6 months (urine only). Eats dry food -Hills TD diet. Drinks water. I would call her head kitty - chases the others & likes to waylay them.She is the youngest.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It is possible she has a condition called Interstitial cystitis.It is similar to a UTI except no bacteria is seen upon exam.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

This is caused by a dry food diet:

www.catinfo.org

The cat experiences a burning sensation when she voids. That causes her to seek a soft surface thinking it will hurt less to urinate there.

Give her 3 drops of cranberry juice, by dropper, every day for ten days to lower the PH of her urine.

Use an enzyme product to clean any accidents. Then spray the furniture with citrus. Cats HATE that smell so they avoid soiling there.

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri