Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Our kitty is a rescue. We were told she might be 1 1/2 yrs

Customer Question

Our kitty is a rescue. We were told she might be 1 1/2 yrs old. She wants to eat every 3 hrs. Her behavior is more like a few wk old. She doesn't seem to be putting on any extra weight. (5 lbs). Is this unusual? We've had other cats but never had them constantly begging to eat. Can you shed any light on this behavior?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Hi Charel,

How long do you have her?

where was she living before you got her?

Was she a stray?

Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Dear Charel,

Bless you for rescuing!

If your cat has known hunger due to her previous living conditions she will stuff herself like there is no tomorrow.

That is because a cat that has had to go without food is terrified she will again be in that position. Hence,she wants to eat continuously until she believes food will always be available.

To break her of this annoying habit don't feed her in shifts because that way she doe not know when (if ever) she will see food again.

Instead, put her on a free feed schedule. Keep her dry food in a auto feeder so she gets used to it always being there.

Put out a can of cat food in the morning and evening, no tbls and another in the evening. Leave them there till she finishes.

Inbetween she eats her dry food. Just ignore any begging pleas.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,