petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a very skittish cat with a lot of anxiety. We are

Customer Question

I have a very skittish cat with a lot of anxiety. We are moving next week and I would like to give her something to calm her and make the move less traumatic. I have tried the spray and also the plug in pheromone product but cannot even get her in a carrier. Is there anything that I can give her that would help sedate her or keep her calm? She is a small calico.. approx 10 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucky and she is 5. She has always been skittish and doesn't like to be handled. She will come on my lap and I can let her but if I handle her she gets afraid and will hide for hours
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: She is healthy but does abviously have anxiety issues
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

This is not an uncommon problem. There really is nothing that is available over the counter that will help to calm a cat that is so anxious. You will need to have something prescribed by a veterinarian who has examined her. That leads to the question of how to even get her to a vet if you can't get her in the carrier. You have two options. First, you could enlist the services of a vet that makes house calls to examine and then prescribe something to facilitate the move. House call vets are becoming more readily available and there likely is one in your are.

Your second option is to get her to the vets office where they can then sedate her if needed. I have had some clients successfully get their cat in a carrier by either putting then in a pillow case first or calmly wrap them in a towel and then put the whole towel or pillow case in the carrier with them in it. Most cats will simply lay down on a towel of opened pillow case if you lay it out on the floor, and when they do, you simply have to calmly and gently "scoop" them up into it and insert the whole thing in the carrier.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z