Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

About 8 weeks ago my cat started sneezing and seemed to have

Customer Question

about 8 weeks ago my cat started sneezing and seemed to have nasal congestion. He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and was given medication as such. He never got well and had been on a variety of antibiotics. I took him back to the Vet yesterday for the same issue and also mentioned his right eye looked different from the left eye. Also, when he sneezes he has a small amount of bleeding from his left nostril. Now I am told he has a tumor behind the eye that had been affecting the sinus cavity and is now putting pressure on the eyeball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. OK. Got it. The Veterinarian is ready to discuss your question in more detail after you submit a fully-refundable {price} deposit. Anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I am told that this is a potentially fatal condition. Is there a medical name for this condition?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 24 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. Can I ask some questions to get some more information? How old is she? Did your vet talk about more imaging studies to try and get more information about what is going on?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
He is 12. There has been no diagnostic testing. The vet says he can see the tumor when he looks into the cat's eye. The eye is starting to protrude a little and he feels something in the mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

Sorry for my delay as I stepped away from my computer there. If there is a tumor / growth behind the globe (eye), the term given to that is a retrobulbar mass. Sometimes an infection can happen behind the eye and it is called a retrobulbar abscess. Both of these conditions can cause an eye to start to protrude forward from its normal positioning. More information as to the cause can be obtained by having an MRI / CT scan done to see what all is involved. Did your vet talk about further diagnostics that are available? Would you pursue further diagnostics and possible therapy if options were given?