Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I For a month i suspected that my persian female cat has a

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I Hello doctor.For a month i suspected that my persian female cat has a diabetes. I have type 1 diabetes mellitus , so i know the signs of high blood sugar level...
Today my mom took her to our veterinarian, and was told that our cat has 320 blood sugar level. The veterinarian told my mom to give to the cat, who is 11 years old and weights 4.4 kg, only 50 gr of diabetic cat food a day. I know that human who has such level must be treated by insulin. The problem that my dad, who pediatric doctor by himself, against using insulin and saying that "she already had good life so she can go, if it is her fate". I am worried for my cat.
Should i speak to our veterinarian again about treatment of my cat?Thank you very much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your cat has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: No, its all information which i can give...
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Some cats respond very well to a diet change, just as we can see in humans. In fact, in many cases with cats they can achieve remission from diabetes with diet alone. It's not a bad idea to start the diabetic food and give it exclusively for 2-4 weeks and check her blood sugar values to see how she is responding. If her numbers are just as high or higher, yes, talk to your vet about insulin. However, if her values have come down into a more normal range, she may not need insulin at all.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your girl doing today?