Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Swollen neck as of this evening. was sluggish for two days.

Customer Question

swollen neck as of this evening. was sluggish for two days. not eating or drinking. 13 yrs old. outdoors for day and in each night, this came on fast.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mommy Cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No, has been healthy for years. Has a slight limp from jumping down a tree about 10 years ago. Did recently kill a chipmunk, and we also sprayed for bugs yesterday morning, However, other outside cat is fine and they share bowls.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 28 days ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Mommy Cat has a swollen, sluggish and not eating or drinking. This sounds serious I am afraid. Cats are good maskers of disease and when they stop eating it is usually indicating a serious underlying medical issue.

Swelling around the neck can be caused by: swollen lymph nodes due to infection or cancer, or an abscess (bacterial infected pocket).

Do you have a picture of the swollen area to show me?

Also please look at Mommy Cat's gums and tell me what color they are?

- Dr. H