Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Do i need an ultrasound if my cat is having a miscarriage.

Customer Question

do i need an ultrasound if my cat is having a miscarriage. bleeding has tapered off. had shot of convenia and was given 7 days of penicillin. 35 days pregnant. no temperature. acting normal.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hello name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Dear Kathryn,

I am sorry your cat has this trouble.

As long as the bleeding has stopped, she does not have pale gums or an odorous discharge you can wait on the ultrasound.

However, if she has any trouble or you want to know if any fetus"remain in the womb it would be a good diagnostic tool.

If you do not plan to breed her, you can avoid the expense of an ultasound and just go directly to spay surgery.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kathryn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is a breeding cat so will not be spayed. Bleeding stopped after one day. No temp. Eating. On antibiotics. So I will not get ultrasound as she does not seem to have any symptoms of any pregnancy or further complications.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kathryn,

I am glad to hear the bleeding stopped and you did not waste money on an ultrasound.

A small amount of bleeding is not concerning nor should it affect her ability to breed.

She most likely has a touch of cystitis that can be caused by a dry food diet:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

www.catinfo.org

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Really. I assumed a miscarriage.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kathryn,

Does not sound like a miscarriage due to the minimal amount of bleeding.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/reproductive/c_ct_abortion_spontaneous_pregnancy_loss

Terrihttps://www.cuteness.com/article/symptoms-miscarriage-cat