Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I left for work and I forgot a packet of sealed chocolate

Customer Question

I left for work and I forgot a packet of sealed chocolate biscuits, and an open box of chocolates but they're individually wrapped. They're both in the same room with my 12-week old kitten. Is it safe? I'll be out for another 6 hrs.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I wouldn't worry about this too much. While there are no guarantees via the internet I very much doubt if your kitten will try and eat the chocolates or the chocolate biscuits. Unlike dogs cats rarely have a sweet tooth, in fact I have dealt with a great many cases over the years where dogs have eaten chocolate in various forms and suffered toxicity issues. But never a cat, they just don't like the taste ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But what if she does?

Hello again,

Well I think it highly unlikely that a kitten will eat any of the chocolate, this is not a typical food source for cats. However if she did eat some then chocolate toxicity could be an issue, you would expect serious problems to occur when around 2 ounces or above per pound of body weight is swallowed.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Cotton is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning possible chocolate ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things went.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.