nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

My 2 y.o. kitty came home yesterday after overnight stay at

Customer Question

My 2 y.o. kitty came home yesterday after overnight stay at vets following X-rays and enemas for bad constipation. He's pooped once last evening and eaten but mostly hiding under couch... Is this normal considering all he's been through?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Captain--"Cappy"
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about --"Cappy?
Customer: He's never had constipation before-- I just a week previous changed his kibble from SD Optimal to Light because he was a bit chunky... The X-rays showed a lot of gas mixed in w the impacted poop
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Captain,

It sounds like he had a rough day yesterday. In regards ***** ***** question, hiding and withdrawing isn't unexpected if he isn't feeling 100%. This is a common "prey response" and one cats often use when they just don't feel that they can project that all is well to the world (since letting the world know you are a bit vulnerable can make you a target for predation in their minds). So, we'd just want to monitor him closely but not be panicked here. Though if he seems a bit sore after those enemas, do make sure his vet starts kitty safe pain relief to keep him comfortable and get him back to feeling like himself quickly.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** some relief and I think he is sore there, he has been cleaning himself a bit excessively... I have just come home from being gone all day, he was on the bed, seems more chipper and himself, ate a little bit, had peed but no poop now since yesterday at 5:00 pm and I'm so worried he is just holding it in! Don't want to send him into a vicious cycle of enemas just to poop, not acceptable for a 2 year old healthy kitty. I will call the vet tomorrow but I feel the trauma of bringing him back there will only make his problem worse...
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he is starting to feel more like himself. Though while we can see a delay in stool after an enema (since it takes time for more to be made, longer if he is perhaps eating less), if you aren't seeing any do ring his vet about their dispensing pain relief as we discussed (since sore kitties will hold feces just as a person would to avoid pain) and potentially a gut lubricant (ie Lactulose) for you to add to food and keep him regular. Since they did just see him for this, they will likely send these home without him having to come back and visit at this stage.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )