Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

After moving too far to keepmy regular vet, I had several

Customer Question

After moving too far to keepmy regular vet, I had several cats spayed yesterday at a new animal hospital. I would like to know if it is now common practice to send cats (both male and female) home without any pain medication. I was very taken back when paying before for the surgeries if I wanted to "include CPR" to the bill charges and did I "want to purchase any pain medication" as well. I am very upset that these cats would go into surgery and owners can opt out of pain management. Same for CPR. Before I take my cats elsewhere for their vet care, is this now standard practice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome.My name is Terri.
I have been with Just Answer since 2005 helping cats with this concern.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry you had to endure this stress.

Most veterinarians WILL provide a low dose of pain meediation prior to surgery However, it is becoming a standrard procedue for shelters, rescues and some vets to ask the owners for their permission.

Of course, they should have asked you prior to the surgery.

If I were you I would use a more compassionate clinic.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

I hope all is well with youur cats. Please let me know if you have any more questions and I will be here for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri