Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 17 yr old cat's been seriously ill. She hasn't been 100%

Customer Question

my 17 yr old cat's been seriously ill. She hasn't been 100% for a while, eating ravenously yet losing weight but vet couldn't find anything from basic tests apart from slight kidney deterioration. However, 2 night's ago she suffered very bad bout of diarrhoea & vomiting and for the remainder of the night and next day wouldn't eat or drink and lay listless and obviously feeling extremely bad. Vet suggested putting her down but she's battled many things in the past and pulled through and it seemed a little early to throw in the towel. So vet gave her a steroid injection & under skin reydration injection and we took her home. Overnight she perked up, ate a little food and drank some water and vet was very surprised to see that she had recovered when seeing her again the next morning. So gave her 5 day steroid injection and prescribed pro-biotics & we took her home. She has continued to occasionally lick a bit of food and a dribble of water overnight and today. However, although she is interested in food & water and obviously wants to eat, she seems to find it difficult or uncomfortable and stops after a few licks, gulps a bit and then walks away. Don't know what to do - whether we're just prolonging her agony or if there's something causing this that we can help with..... any thoughts or advice would be helpful.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She reacted to anaesthetic when being spayed as a kitten, having fits and an enlarged heart and we were told she wouldn't live long but she's has a really stubborn and stoical character. As a result though, we are reluctant to do anything that involves an anaesthetic in terms of intervention.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 29 days ago.

I am sorry your cat is not feeling well.

What foods does she usually eat?

Was she tested for hyperthyroid?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi - thanks for responding.
She is quite fussy with her food but has been ok on wet food felix senior alongside Hills Science Plan senior biscuits for a few years now. Recently since she's been a bit odd with her eating and losing weight and now this, she has gone off the Felix but eat a bit of Applaws Senior tinned Complete Cat food until we mixed probiotic into it - then she wouldn't touch it. So only thing I've tempted her with has been tinned tuna in sunflower oil which she eat a tiny bit of. Yes - vet tested her for hyperthyroid when I asked them to, as it seemed to fit all her symptoms. But they said the test didn't show up anything. I have thyroid problems myself - I know it's not the same in cats but I did wonder if it was worth pursuing this as from my own knowledge, it sometimes doesn't show in normal tests - plus there's T3 and T4 and other things that might show.
Expert:  Terri replied 29 days ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have to go and cannot wait longer and now I have my bank calling regarding payment to this site cautioning fraud so would prefer to end this.
Expert:  Terri replied 29 days ago.

She shows the classic symptoms for hyperthyroid. Since she may be on the low scale a T4 test is recommended.

It sounds like something she ate caused a GI upset, hence vomiting and diarrhea.

Could be sunflower oil so feed ONLY tuna packed in water, not oil.

Never add probiotics to food because the taste can prevent eating.

Instead, give her half tsp of plain yogurt every day. It has the same acidophilis as a probiotic and cats like the taste.

Get a few jars of human chicken baby food with no onion powder . Most cats LOVE it and will eat it right up.

You can add a tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice to a jar to cure diarrhea.

For vomiting give one quarter of a ten mg pepcid (famotidine) every 12 hours.

Plus give her the tinned food she likes and will eat.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.