Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat was at the vet last year for a urinary blockage and

Customer Question

my cat was at the vet last year for a urinary blockage and tapeworms which he got after running away and being outdoors for 2 weeks, was $1500 for treatment, all has been good since then, today I noticed a white worm in his pee!!! looking on line I see that other people have tried ivermectin for this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: hydro
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about hydro?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like Hydro has Capillaria, which commonly occur after exposure to earthworms. This may have been something he picked up when he was outdoors prior to being blocked. Treatment is often achieved with either ivermectin or fenbendazole. It would be wise to involve your vet in treatment as there's no way you'll be sure he's rid of the parasite without a urinary evaluation and may require multiple treatments to be successful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. Were you able to get Hydro a physical exam with your vet? How is he doing?