Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My cat was prescribed tylosin for diarrhea and vomiting. How

Customer Question

my cat was prescribed tylosin for diarrhea and vomiting. How soon after administering should we see it take effect?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Tylosin will take a couple of days to help with the diarrhea. I would also add a probiotic, like Proviable or Fortiflora to repopulate the gut with beneficial bacteria. These are both over the counter and available online. If you are not seeing improvement with the diarrhea within 72 hours from starting the medication, you should talk to your local veterinarian about changing to metronidazole. Please ask any additional questions. You can continue to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you. Have you ever seen a situation where one cat got sick with diarrhea, vomiting and nausea for 4-5 days, then was completely back to normal for 5 days. In the meantime the second cat in the household got sick with the same symptoms and then 2 days later the first cat got sick with the same symptoms all over again?

That can happen if there is either a parasite that they are passing back and forth from a shared litter box or if they are getting into something in the house that is upsetting their gastrointestinal tract (like chewing on plants). Less likely scenarios would be contamination of food or viral infection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would a parasite be likely cause them this much distress? Frequent diarrhea to the point of clear diarrhea and vomiting up clear liquid.

That is not typical with parasites. However, panleukpenia which is a parvo virus can cause that. Not typically seen in older cat population with current vaccines. I would check online to see if there have been any recalls on the food that you feed. If you want to post the name and brand of food, I can check for you on a recall center.