Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat has kidney disease. We have been feeding him Hills

Customer Question

My cat has kidney disease. We have been feeding him Hills K/D. We also feed him a little freeze dried raw and a little fresh beef. I have been told that if we feed anything else but the K/D - the benefits of that food are wiped out. I am trying to understand why that would be. From a logic standpoint, it doesn't make sense to me. Can you explain? Also - the K/D food is honestly made from less than quality ingredients. So it would seem like while it is keeping the protein and phosphorus down - it is weakening his overall system.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Specifically addressing your question about feeding beef in addition to the K/D - the K/D has been precisely formulated to meet the needs of patients with kidney disease. Keeping the phosphorus down is critical - and muscle meat like beef is very high in phosphorus. This will put the calcium:phosphorus ratio out of balance and can really adversely affect the cat's condition.

With respect to the quality of ingredients - I guess I need to ask what leads you to believe that K/D contains inferior ingredients? And in comparison to what?

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't consider any cat food that contains oat fiber, glucose and corn starch to be quality ingredients, not to mention pork-by-products
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In addition - I have yet to find a correlation between plain meat and phosphorus levels. There are a number of canned cat foods on the market that are just meat and are very low in phosphorus. It was given the following recipe by a vet on justanswer and it was less than the renal diets
ground beef, 10% fat, cooked, 3 ouncesrice, white, long-grain, cooked, 3/4 cupcanola oil, 4 tspsalt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/4 tspsalt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1/8 tspbone meal powder, 1/4 tspbaking soda substitute (calcium carbonate), 1/8 tspmultivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1/2 eachvitamin K, 100 mcg vitamin K per tablet, 1 tablettaurine powder, 1000 mg per 1/4 tsp, 1/4 tsphe said it was .43% phosphorus
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did you receive my reply?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, had to be AFK for a few. Let me read through your response.

Expert:  CalCatDoc replied 1 month ago.

Well I guess we have differing opinions about what constitutes quality so I will go ahead and release this question back to the pool and let someone else help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't worry about it - I found someone else since I didn't hear back from you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you can close it