Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My six year old cat all of a sudden can't jump onto any of

Customer Question

My six year old cat all of a sudden can't jump onto any of our furniture. He just stands there and looks at it like he wants to jump but he can't
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: My six year old carry all of a sudden can't jump onto any of our furniture. He just stands there and looks at it like he wants to jump but hee can't
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem like he is hurting at all
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kelly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kelly?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm so sorry Kelly is experiencing this problem.

When did this first begin?

Does he have any other symptoms, like walking slowly or is he hunched over when he walks?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

Check the color of his hind paw pads and see if they are blue-ish or purple-ish (if normally pink) and colder than his front paws. Does he exhibit any pain when you touch his pads?

Does he spend any time outside?

Do you have any other pets?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your answer.

Warmest wishes,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's walking eating and drinking just fine his pads are pink and it doesn't seem to bother him when i touch them. He is an indoor cat but we walk on a leash twice a day. No other pets. He is going to the bathroom normal also
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again and thank you for your very helpful reply.

I'm glad to hear that everything seems normal in all other respects.

When a cat is reluctant to jump, his hind legs could feel weak and not strong enough to do it, or he could be having some pain in his back from an injured vertebral disc, which is affecting his hind legs.

Weakness in the hind legs can be caused by a side effect of untreated diabetes, called diabetic neuropathy. It can also be caused by a cardiac condition called cardiomyopathy, where a blood clot gets stuck in the main artery carrying blood to the hind legs. Since his paw pads are pink and not painful, it's probably not that, but should be checked out, anyway.

He could have fallen and landed in an awkward position, without you knowing, and injured his vertebral spine or disc, or even his legs/paws, themselves and that's why he feels he can't jump.

Here is some additional information for you to read:

If this symptom continues, it would be advisable to have Kelly seen in person by his vet, for a hands-on examination and possible imaging (x-rays).

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He also has really bad allergies could that be causing a problem
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Is he sneezing, coughing, have runny eyes, itchy skin? What kind of allergies and is he being treated by the vet for this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sneezing and very watery eyes I don't know what kind of allergies and he has never been treated. I'm taking care of the cat because his owner had a stroke
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

OH, I see; so you wouldn't know everything about his medical past. It's very kind of you to take care of Kelly since his owner had a stroke.

If the sneezing and watery eyes have been going on for a while, he could have allergies, or feline herpes virus. If these symptoms have been more short-lived, he could have an upper respiratory infection (like our common cold) and it will resolve on it's own, if there are not complications, within about 1-2 weeks.

You can give him L-Lysine to help with the respiratory symptoms. They make special formulations for cats, but this is a human supplement, too.

You can find these in Walmart and Petco, too.

I don't think the upper respiratory symptoms have anything to do with his reluctance to jump, but again, these 'allergy' symptoms should be checked out by the vet in person, also. It's possible that Kelly received an injection for his symptoms in his hindquarters recently and that's what's bothering him.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I had another thought: if he has allergies, his ears may be stuffed up and this could cause vestibular syndrome. This condition usually starts in the ears with an infection or other disturbance in the vestibular system, which regulates balance and equilibrium, so if his ears are stuffed or he should have an ear infection, plus, this could make him feel dizzy, he may feel too off balance/unsure to jump.

In addition, if he's sneezing and his eyes are watering, as long as the discharge is not greenish/yellowish, indicating bacterial infection which would need to be treated by an antibiotic, for the moment, you can give him an antihistamine to help.
A good one is Chlor-trimeton, available over the counter, and you can give 1/4 of a 4mg tablet every 12 hours, and see if this helps. A side effect can be sleepiness. Make sure to use ONLY an antihistamine, not a 'multi-symptom' antihistamine product also containing a decongestant like psuedoephedrine or any decongestant, a pain reliever like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Advil (Ibuprofen), etc., as these medications are very dangerous to cats and they can't tolerate them. Here is more information about Chlor-Trimeton:

You can also run a humidifier in the rooms he occupies most, to help with congestion.

You can bring him to be checked out at no cost to you, to a VCA animal clinic, which provides a downloadable coupon for the first visit for new patients, here:

VCA has offices nationwide, so helpfully, there is one near you.

Please let me know if you found my answers helpful and/or select a positive rating from the ratings box on your page. Thank you!

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm just writing again, to find out how Kelly is doing and to let you know that I added more helpful information to my answer after you viewed it last; I wanted to make sure you received an email notification that I replied a second time, so you can read it.

Please keep me posted on how he's doing and if you brought him to the vet.