Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Don't really know if a dog or what hurt it,it responds some

Customer Question

don't really know if a dog or what hurt it,it responds some but'acts a lot comatose.Will move legs and stretch occasionally meow and open it's eyes.Will drink milk thru syringe,but otherwise just like it's asleep.It's a kitten and just trying to give it a chance to make it should it be head trauma that needs to play out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: wound on foot?
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: no,just about 5 weeks old,and just sorta it twilight world
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Where did you find this kitten?
2) How long ago was it found?
3) Can you attach a video of what you're seeing?
4) Any mucous from eyes or nose?
5) How many respirations per minute are you seeing?
6) Can you see the pupils? Are they they same size? Do they react to light?
7) Any vomiting or seizures?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its one of my kittens,one eye appears to be dilated the other will open a little every now and then.Breathing is shallow and it will eat from dropper.I found it yesterday day around lunch in this shape.It seems to be a little more responsive every time I feed it.Tonight I mixed chicken broth with some canned cat food and blended it into a slurry and it ate quite a bit.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it reminds me of someone who has been in a bad accident with head injury,like it's taking awhile to wake up

This is not a concern of "waking up" from a head injury, I'm afraid. If this kitten is that debilitated, it needs to be examined by a veterinarian. Without veterinary help, it may never regain ability to ambulate. If he's eating from a dropper, he's lucid enough that he should be up and moving. Because this isn't happening, I can tell you that something is very wrong with him structurally. He could very well have suffered a head injury but for him to be aware enough to eat from a dropper? This means that something is likely either strained or broken that is keeping him from being able to sit up, put his legs under him and walk around.

That said, a kitten of 5 weeks needs more than just milk. He's very quickly going to either suffer from hypoglycemia or malnutrition. If this is cows milk that you're feeding, please switch to KMR or an approved kitten milk replacer. Milk will cause diarrhea and more problems in the future. You can also use some honey or pancake syrup to keep his blood glucose high enough.