Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat woke up this morning very agressive, he was hissing

Customer Question

Hi my cat woke up this morning very agressive, he was hissing to my boyfriend and having fighta with my other cat. Its weird cause they love each other and they were esting toghether. It was all of the sudden and he is hissing non stop. I put him in a room alone with litter food his bed , toys and water but know he keeps crying!!! Help me what can I do?????!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mufasa he is between 5-6 months
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mufasa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mufasa?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Something may have happened, unbeknownst to you, that frightened, frustrated or startled Mufasa and he is exhibiting 'redirected aggression' toward both the humans in the household and his furry companion. Here is more information about redirected aggression:

First, I would recommend a visit to the vet, to make sure this sudden aggression is not stemming from an underlying medical issue and Mufasa is in pain. Make sure he's urinating normally and there is no problem with him being 'blocked' in his urethra/bladder, as that is a medical emergency in male cats. Hopefully, all will be well. If this is a behavioral-only issue, the following over the counter calming remedies might help:

Note: don't use the oral products at the same time; just use one in conjunction with the Feliway.

If there is no improvement after a few days, then I think it would be time to consider a calming prescription medication like Clomicalm, after discussing the many medicine options with your vet.

There are a variety of these types of anti-anxiety medications and your vet can guide you to the one that would be most beneficial.

You might also consider a thundershirt for your kitten; this makes them feel more secure and less anxious:

I hope things improve, soon with little Mufasa!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how Mustafa is coming along and if you were able to bring him to the vet, to see if there's any medical reason for his sudden aggression.

I hope he has stopped this behavior, but if not, I provided you some good suggestions in my answer, so please read what I had to tell you and if you need any additional information, just click 'Reply' to let me know.

I hope you found my answer helpful and will please let me know here or rate positively, so I can receive credit from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

My primary goal is the well-being of your kitty!

Warmest wishes,