Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She has liquid diarrhea, but an increased appetite. Pooh is

Customer Question

She has liquid diarrhea, but an increased appetite.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pooh is 18.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pooh?
Customer: She has been eating alot of treats.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the diarrhea begin?
2) Are you seeing any weight loss?
3) When was the last time Pooh had bloodwork?
4) Any illnesses she's been diagnosed with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. About 2 weeks.
2. No weight loss.
3. About 3 yearsago.
4. No illness ever.

A few more questions, if you don't mind:

1) Is she indoor only?
2) Has she had any changes to her diet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is indoor only and the only change in her diet is the additionof "Temptations" treats.

A change in her diet could most certainly be the cause of the diarrhea. The increased appetite may be due to the fact that she is not digesting the food well.

I would recommend moving her back to the same foods that she was eating before the diarrhea started and see if this does not result in a resolution of her symptoms. There may be something in the new treats that is resulting in the diarrhea. If this does not help, you can try adding a few tsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filler) to her food each time that she eats. If she's a cat that consumes food throughout the day, you can mix it into her regular food.

If the diarrhea does not improve with these measures or she worsens (blood in the stool, vomiting, etc) I would recommend having her examined and blood work run to ensure that she does not have an underlying condition like hyperthyroidism that could be contributing to the symptoms.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?