Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Trying to poop but nothing is coming out. now hiding. Is

Customer Question

Trying to poop but nothing is coming out. now hiding. Is 13-14 years old and does have early stage kidney disease
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: chatter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about chatter?
Customer: not that i think of right now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What food is Chatter eating at this time?
2) Has your veterinarian had you start any medication or SQ fluids at this time?
3) Are you seeing any vomiting?
4) Is Chatter still urinating normally and willing to eat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She eating and drinking just not as much
She is on renal support hydrolysis protein food for kidney disease
She is on no fluids
Is not vomiting
And take two shots a week of adequan

Is this a dry food or a moist food that she's eating?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

It sounds like you've reached a point where Chatter needs to be started on a moist food and probably need to discuss giving SQ fluids at home with your vet. One problem that CRF cats battle is chronic dehydration. When they become dehydrated, their stools can become incredibly dry and difficult to move. She may need to have an enema performed to help her pass this stool. If she has been eating and drinking less, this could also be part of the reason that she is not able to pass the stool, linked back directly to reduction of intake in fluids. For cats with any variety of kidney compromise, not taking in fluid can very quickly send them into a downward spiral because toxins will build up in the body and not be effectively flushed from the system. If she does need to go in for an enema, having them recheck her blood work would be wise, simply to determine where her values are at this time.

For the time being, you can give 1 tsp of vegetable oil per 10# ***** body weight or 2 tbsp of milk per 10#. Within a few hours, you should see a bowel movement. If this does not permit her to pass the stool this evening or she worsens overnight, you will need to have her examined by your vet no later than tomorrow.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?