Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 6-7 day old orphaned kitten who, I just saw, has

Customer Question

I have a 6-7 day old orphaned kitten who, I just saw, has tiny white bugs or worms inside one of it's ears. He's crying a lot more too and now I feel it's due to this. What can I do at home if anything?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: We don't have a name for him yet
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: The mother only had 2 kittens and had a uterine prolapse so I'm trying to keep her babies alive as best I can without too much money being spent
JA: Well, we require $5.
Customer: How do I pay?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: I'm ready
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about for?
Customer: The kitten seems otherwise healthy. Wasn't nursing from my bottle well until recently but has been crying more often. He has some discharge from that ear as well and I'm not sure what it is.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds like you are seeing ear mites. Those are the only tiny, white bugs I have ever seen or hear of coming from a cat's ear. You can go to your local major pet store and get some ear mite medication. It may or may not help as well was what your vet can prescribe. It may help to even fill the ear canals with the cleaner, massage it for 30 seconds and let them shake it out in order for the medication to get to where it needs to go. Now, some of these ear mite infections have a concurrent yeast and/or bacterial infection, so your vet may still need to see the ears if not getting better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how your kitten was doing and to see if you have any further questions.