Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

I accidently gave my cat 1 full tablet of Methimazole (10mg)

Customer Question

I accidently gave my cat 1 full tablet of Methimazole (10mg) and she was supposed to have 1/3 tab. every 12 hours. She is normally given the cream that you put in her ear - but with the holiday my vet did not get it in - so I used the tab - which he said to use for 'back up' as the crème had not arrived
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: sorry 1/4 tab every 12 hours - I mistyped
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: she is 13 yrs. old --- very thin anyway - one vet had not diagnosed her until she had lost a significant amount of weight (that was 3 years ago). She never gained the weight back - but has maintained her current weight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Methimazole usually comes in 5 mg....check yours should be 5 mg

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Check the tablet and let me know....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I do see that the company does make a 10 mg version of this medication. So, you should ideally see an ER doc tonight to have your kitty put on IV fluids and have as much of this drug flushed out as possible. But if you do not go then you should skip the drug altogether for 48 let it get out of your cat's system....but Istrongly encourage you to have your kitty seen tonight. I hope this helps, Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B