Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

My cat is in the ER. Cannot make a diagnosis of what is

Customer Question

My cat is in the ER. Cannot make a diagnosis of what is wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: Her CBC came back with elevated ALKP ATL aand TBIL
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jules is her name. She is a bit over 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jules?
Customer: They're planning on doing a liver biopsy. I don't feel like this is the only test they can do to find out what is wrong
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your information right now and will post back with a reply to you in just one moment...

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I am sorry to hear Jules is not doing well. There are several reasons her liver enzymes may be elevated. A bile acid blood test and an ultrasound of her liver would be helpful prior to the liver biopsy. Do you know if these tests have been done?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi- thank you. I am unsure if a bile acid has been done. They did do an ultrasound on her liver, but they did not see any tumors but they described it as "darkened". The ER vet stated there are no other options that can determine any diagnosis other than doing the biopsy. At this point, she's been in their care for almost 24 hours- I requested another blood test. Her ALKP and ALT decreased slightly, but her TBIL slightly decreased as she still isn't eating. I really really felt like there is another way to help diagnose her other than this procedure.

I am sorry you are going through this stressful situation. Can you tell me a bit more? Is she stable and responding to treatment? Have they given you any other options such as treating for another 24 hours and then deciding on a biopsy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I Unfortuantly told them to proceed with the biopsy, against my gut feeling. Even after asking what are my options, none were provided. As Shes is a little over two years- and hearing kidney cancer is rare... He did not see any form of cancer in the test from what he saw (he specialities in internal med. And oncology). He also sent off to a pathologist for confirmation... He is now saying it is hepatic lipidosis that was onset of a virus or infection biased off of all test and results... I really think that this diagosis could've been confirmed without the biopsy.

Thank you for the additional info and sorry for the delay in response. It sounds like they have done a very thorough investigation and have found a diagnosis. Many cats can recover fully from hepatic lipidosis, so this is hopeful news. I hope Jules is feeling better each day. Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for asking. She is now home as of last week Thursday. She does have a feeding tube in place, hopefully she will start to show more intrest in her food soon. She is still a but lethargic, but I'm sure that can be expected. I believe they saw some neutrophils( I could be incorrect) in her biopsy. The vet only said this shows there has been some kind of infection present. They still are unsure of the underlying cause, which really does worry me.

Thank you for the update. This all sounds promising so far. Many cats will have an episode of hepatic lipidosis without any known underlying cause. Many of these cats can make a full recovery if they are treated well...a feeding tube is crucial, so that is very good news that they placed one. I hope Jules recovers quickly.

Best regards,

Dr. KV