Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is disinterested in food for the last few days, I

Customer Question

My cat is disinterested in food for the last few days, I have tried everything. She is still drinking water and for the past two nights has hunted her meal, which is rare for her. She has eaten a small snake and lizard that i have seen. What could it be? I have tried to feed her with a syringe, she hates it. She is 16 years old and recently had a hard to treat urinary track infection. She is a bit lethargic, but that is about it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: india
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about india?
Customer: her recent blood tests came back normal.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that she had blood work performed?
2) Has she lost weight?
3) What food is she normally eating?
4) Have you tried any diet changes with her? If so, what and when?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. she had bloodworm done about 3 weeks ago
2. maybe 1-2 pounds
3. for most her life she has eaten dry food... when she was dealing with the urinary issues (blood in urine) she was put on wet food and i have kept her on it for the last couple of weeks. She used to love it. and now does not want either. I have tried various kinds. She will however still eat her cat treats and like i said, i have seen her eat to small prey the last two nights. is the lizard enough food for a day?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry that should say blood work

Did they check her thyroid with the blood work?

A small lizard is not suitable for just a day, but I doubt that it is going to harm her as far as eating it goes. I would be interested to know if a switch in kibble would be an option for her. If she needs to stay on a dry food, Royal Canin has quite a few options that will keep her from developing crystals if this had happened in the past.

We become concerned about a cat not eating, but because she is catching fresh prey it sounds like she is not interested in her food choices and making other options. I would consider looking at a raw diet for her, which can be an option for cats with kidney/bladder issues, as well, because of the increased fluid in the diet which can stave off urinary problems. Has this been tried?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what kind of things can she eat on a raw diet?

You can choose to make your own or you can purchase it commercial. If you want to use commercial (which is probably easiest to start) look in your area for companies like Nature's Variety, Bravo!, Primal, etc.

Other options include using companies like Hare Today which ship ground food items to you and you can then supplement the food to make it complete with vitamins and mineral supplements such as Missing Link powder.

Lots more info here:

Checking in, Vanessa. How is India doing?