Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a momma cat that just had eight kittens yesterday,

Customer Question

I have a momma cat that just had eight kittens yesterday, also have another female that hasn't given birth to any for awhile and isn't pregnant. Is it possible for her to feed some of the kittens, she's accepted other kittens and fed them with her own before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: Just wasn't sure the female without kittens would have or develop milk if she tried to feed some of them.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I can help you today. I have known several female cats who are not spayed, but have not had recent pregnancies who do develop milk and are able to nurse the kittens from another queen. It is very common for queens to accept other kittens from other mothers to share the workload of nursing them.

I would let both females be together if they want, as the hormonal smells from the birthing queen will help your non-birthing queen make more milk. You will also need to monitor the non-birthing queen and ensure that she is actually making milk for the kittens. Massage her nipples and squeeze them gently to see if milk comes out.
Lastly, make sure there is free choice kitten food and water available for all of them.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How are all of your cats getting along now? Is the non-birthing cat making milk for the kittens? Please let me know, I was thinking about your big happy family today.

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda