Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I'm not sure. It started when he pooped on my stove and it

Customer Question

I'm not sure. It started when he pooped on my stove and it was 3 little hard, dry pieces. Then he had trouble pooping in his box, straining but not crying and nothing came out. He started acting lethargic but eating and drinking normally. Then he pooped after two days but it was still 3 hard small pieces. He perked up and started acting normal for a while and then became lethargic again. The last poop he did yesterday looked little 4 little rabbit pellets. This was yesterday and all vets were closed except for the vet in the Petco store. I took him in and the vet palpated him but said he didn't feel much in there, there was hardly any poo in there at all. I don't know...I feel like something's wrong there. He's been constipated, obviously, so I expected him to feel a lot of poo backed up. Vet said he didn't really need any fluids because he wasn't really dehydrated but gave a little subQ to ease my mind.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: HIs name is ***** ***** he's going to be 17 in December. The funny thing is that Moses was acting normal at the vet. He snaps out of it for a while but then starts acting lethargic at night. The vet said he was just old. Said the fluids would help him go but it's been over 12 hours and he hasn't needed to poop. He doesn't go potty unless I pick him up and put him in the box. Then he goes and the urine is dark yellow, almost orange but not really. It's weird. That's not normal. I don't see any presence of blood, though.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moses?
Customer: I told him about the urine color and he didn't seem concerned at all. I told him Moses had a history of bladder infections but hasn't had one in at least 10 yrs. I switched him to low carb wet food. And he does a rotational diet of lightly cooked, fresh food, commercial raw and wet food. A little dry food as a snack, but not much Moses is not hiding, but on my bed. After he urinated in box, he ran and jumped up on the sink, waiting for me to turn on faucet. It's weird.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's off his food this morning. I guess I should add that yesterday he didn't seek out food but ate when I placed the bowl of wet food on his bed. He ate a good amount but didn't finish. Drank water like he normally does. But after getting SubQ fluids yesterday afternoon at 3:30 he hasn't been hungry. Tried giving him wet food after he went potty in box but he wasn't interested. He did eat a few white chicken breast chunks, however. And with a little gusto, too. But he's back on the bed in the same place he always sits.
I should also mention that he crouches for a few minutes before he sits in a sphinx-like position with his paws tucked under. The vet said he looked really good for his age and that he wouldn't be surprised if he lived to 20 years and I was relieved but now I am concerned again. He doesn't walk around, just wants to sit on the bed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time Moses had blood work?
2) Any weight loss?
3) How much water is consumed in a sitting?
4) Is he drinking higher than normal volumes?