Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She is shivering uncontrolably, she is shivering and if you

Customer Question

she is shivering uncontrolably
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: she is shivering and if you touch her she meows loudly
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: I cant tell. she meows loud if you touch her at all. she has always been very healthy and does not go outside
JA: Is this new behavior?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: herma and she is4
JA: How old is herma?
Customer: 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about herma?
Customer: she is not fixed. she doesn't act out, her nose is cold, she doesn't appear to be eating
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question about Herma. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right back with you.

When did she first start to exhibit these symptoms?

Do you see any discharge from her vulva?

If you put your hand right near her body, do you feel heat coming off it?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

From your description, it sounds like Herma may have a fever due to infection (this is causing the chills/shivering) and because she's not spayed, she is more prone to develop a serious uterine infection called pyometra. Here is more information:

Even if you don't see any discharge from the vulva, she could have 'closed' pyometra and her belly may be distended due to the fluid and pus inside her uterus.

If she is not eating, and cries when you try to touch her, she is in pain. If this condition is not caused by pyometra, it can be caused by another type of infection (viral or bacterial) anywhere else in her system, plus, she may have an oral/dental problem, prohibiting her from eating, because it hurts. In the state she's in right now, I don't think you'll be able to open her mouth to inspect it, but when she cries, try to glimpse the color of her gums. If they are not light pink, as they should be, and are paler than usual, like white-ish, this indicates a serious issue is going on in her body and together with all the other symptoms, Herma will need to be seen in person by a vet, immediately.

If your vet doesn't have emergency hours, bring her to the nearest ER vet center, now, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, so she's feeling better. As you read at the link I sent you, typically, the only cure for pyometra is to have her spayed.

I hope all will be well with Herma and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thank you!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking back with you to make sure you have received my answer. Occasionally there are glitches where the customer will not receive email notification of the Expert's answer and not know it is waiting to be read.

Please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Remember, if you have any other, related questions, just click 'Reply to Expert' to get back to me.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm following up with you to find out how Herma is doing and if you brought her to a vet, what the findings were, as I'm concerned about her.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please let me know here, or rate my answer positively. Thank you very much.

I hope all is well with your Herma!

Warmest wishes,