nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

8 week old kitten stung by yellow jacket on his paw. Seems

Customer Question

8 week old kitten stung by yellow jacket on his paw. Seems sleepy now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Mickey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mickey?
Customer: He threw up after it happened
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How long ago was he stung?

Is he keeping water down?

Is the paw sore or swollen?

Any breathing changes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 hour
Yes
Not yet
Maybe a little slower, but he is sleeping
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Now as long as he isn’t having issues breathing and has pink gums, we’d not be panicked here. Though since they can be lethargic and sore from a sting, we will want to start some supportive care to reduce the effects of this sting. To start, if you can find the sting site, you can remove it and apply a paste made of baking soda and water. Otherwise, we tend to treat with antihistamines to counter the reaction from these stings. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if his sting is severe and doesn’t respond to this, then we'd want him to see his vet for a long acting steroid injection if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet