nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

My cat is a 15 year old feline cat. He was just at the vet

Customer Question

My cat is a 15 year old feline cat. He was just at the vet last week for a check up and had blood work. Everything was fine except creatine up to 230 because he has been on high protein diet since March. I just noticed yesterday a canker like sore on one of his lower incisor teeth. Could this be caused by him being reintroduced to hard food this past week?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if he has a high creatinine, reducing the protein can help but you will want to also increase his fluid intake (offering water, cat milk, low protein canned foods, etc) since dehydration can also cause this. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, it is quite possible that this is ulcer is due to mechanical irritation from the hard diet. Though we can also see this if he caught the gum when chewing. But in either case, that should heal and settle as he adjusts to the new diet. Of course, we need to tread with care, since we can see sores secondary to kidney issues (if his urea was also elevated) and also with dental disease or some of our cat viruses (herpes and calicivirus). So, you are fine to make those changes to try to improve his creatinine but we'd want to just monitor these and rule out those other concerns if it has not healed over this week or if we see any other lesions.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chester. How is everything going?