Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

We put flea medicine on her yesterday and this morning she

Customer Question

We put flea medicine on her yesterday and this morning she is having trouble with balance. Of course she tried to lick it off. She is eating just wobbly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Gabby and she is three. We gave her some extra canned food this morning and she is better. She is an inside cat so I don't think we will put the flea medicine on her again.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabby?
Customer: No, she is an active cat and loves to play especially with her toys and our dog.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear Gabby is wobbly after the flea medication. What flea product was used?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like this was a flea product containing pyrethrin or permethrin or something similar. This group of insecticides can make cats wobbly for a day or two. There is no antidote, you just have to wait it out. It is good that she ate today.

There are flea medications that are safe for cats, and flea control is very important not just for her, but to protect people against diseases that fleas and ticks can carry.

Let me know what was used, and any other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses! I have not heard from you. How is Gabby doing?